[Muanet] serving the need of corporatism

Herb Thompson hthompso@central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 10:42:51 +0800

Hi
38 years ago, I was one of the many faces in the crowd when a young
university undergraduate at the University of Berkeley named Mario Savio
denounced the American university system for serving as a group of
factories that turn out certain products needed by industry, while
forgetting their role to act as conscience and critic of society. I think
his words ring truer today than they ever did, even in that time of social
sickness.

We debate the content of corporate logos or how many signs we should place
on the lawn. We hire people based on the amount of money they can
accumulate rather than the quality of their publications. We use
microphones to talk to hundreds of students filling up the large lecture
halls without ever learning their individual names because we no longer
have time. Management coopts academics into a game of "pretend
participation" determining strategic plans and visionary statements which
will all go on the shelf in the back rooms of the Chancellory when complete.

In the meantime the important decisions continue to be made in secret.
Academics are invited to meetings only on the basis of signing affidavits
of secrecy not to tell anyone else what goes on in the meeting.

What is going on in fact, is the selection of yet more management people
who have been head-hunted by other management people to run the place.
Another VC is being selected in much the same fashion as the last one - in
secret, without staff input and with union presence allowed only at the
whim of the Chancellor as long as nobody tells anybody else anything.

"As things fell apart, nobody paid much attention". The Talking Heads

Herb