[Muanet] Compulsory use of STA Travel

Jim Macbeth macbeth@central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:39:12 +0800

--============_-1183433102==_ma============

Dear Susan,

Further to our phone discussion some weeks ago, here are my comments
on STA itself and on the requirement to use one particular travel
agent.  Our conversation arose because of my being informed that I
must book Murdoch paid/reimbursed travel through STA Travel in order
to be covered by insurance.

June this year was the first time I used STA and I was not impressed
we made bookings on a Friday afternoon and the flights were 'lost'
because STA payments are made from the eastern states and they were
already closed.  This caused anxiety and inconvenience and the need
to rebook the flights on Monday.
Our frequent flyer numbers did not get registered, which will cause
further inconvenience later when we have to apply to get the flight
credited.
It took me an email and then a personal visit to get a receipt in
order to make a travel claim.
I asked for information to do with a future journey and 2 months
later have not received any information.

I have occasion to work with an expert in the travel agency business
and on discussing this with him he said that STA is a budget flyer
travel agency and does not know how to deal with the corporate
market.  He as much as said don't use them, especially when compared
to agencies such as Tertiary Travel (whom I've used with no trouble
over the years).

This notion that we must book using a travel agent when on Murdoch
business is a problem when in many cases the easiest thing is for me
to book online or on the telephone; the latter I've been finding most
satisfactory for most of my travel over the past 10 years.

Could I please ask that the appropriate person inform me of the following:

which aspects of insurance are effected by this ruling and which
aspects are not (eg Workers Comp; laptop insurance; medical)?
on what legal basis can Murdoch deny us insurance when travelling on
Murdoch business?
in which situations are we still permitted to book our own travel?
How does this effect travel by train, bus, boat or car (including hire cars)?
If we are forced to use a designated travel agent, can we assume that
the university will make up the difference in funds to the
School/research budget if we could have otherwise taken a cheaper
flight of similar class?
Can we also assume that travel booked and paid for by other agencies
is still covered by insurance?

thanks for your help,

Jim
--

					*****
Jim Macbeth, PhD                                Phone (61) (8) 9360 7005

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
comments on STA itself and on the requirement to use one particular
travel agent.&nbsp; Our conversation arose because of my being
informed that I must book Murdoch paid/reimbursed travel through STA
Travel in order to be covered by insurance.</div>
impressed</div>
<ul>
<li>we made bookings on a Friday afternoon and the flights were 'lost'
because STA payments are made from the eastern states and they were
already closed.&nbsp; This caused anxiety and inconvenience and the
need to rebook the flights on Monday.
<li>Our frequent flyer numbers did not get registered, which will
cause further inconvenience later when we have to apply to get the
flight credited.
<li>It took me an email and then a personal visit to get a receipt in
order to make a travel claim.
<li>I asked for information to do with a future journey and 2 months
later have not received any information.</ul>
business and on discussing this with him he said that STA is a budget
flyer travel agency and does not know how to deal with the corporate
market.&nbsp; He as much as said don't use them, especially when
compared to agencies such as Tertiary Travel (whom I've used with no
trouble over the years).</div>
Murdoch business is a problem when in many cases the easiest thing is
for me to book online or on the telephone; the latter I've been
finding most satisfactory for most of my travel over the past 10
years.</div>
<hr>
following:</div>
<ul>
<li>which aspects of insurance are effected by this ruling and which
aspects are not (eg Workers Comp; laptop insurance; medical)?
<li>on what legal basis can Murdoch deny us insurance when travelling
on Murdoch business?
<li>in which situations are we still permitted to book our own travel?
<li>How does this effect travel by train, bus, boat or car (including
hire cars)?
<li>If we are forced to use a designated travel agent, can we assume
that the university will make up the difference in funds to the
School/research budget if we could have otherwise taken a cheaper
flight of similar class?
<li>Can we also assume that travel booked and paid for by other
agencies is still covered by insurance?</ul>
<hr>
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab>*****<br>
Jim Macbeth,
PhD&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
(61) (8) 9360 7005<br>
Chair, Tourism Program<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<x-tab
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </x-tab>Fax&nbsp;&nbsp; (61) (8) 9360 7091<br>
School of Social Inquiry<br>
Murdoch
University&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
Rockingham Campus, Dixon Rd<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </x-tab><br>
Rockingham, Western Australia 6168&nbsp;<br>
Member, Murdoch University
Senate&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
</x-tab>&nbsp;<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab>&lt;J.Macbeth@murdoch.edu.au&gt;<br>
</x-tab>http://tourism.murdoch.edu.au&nbsp;</font></div>