[Muanet] Fwd: RE: Compulsory use of STA Travel

Jim Macbeth J.Macbeth@murdoch.edu.au
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:53:20 +0800

--============_-1182745618==_ma============

I have been having ongoing discussions with the university on these
matters and here is the latest answer from Tom Milliken, partly in
response to my original email and partly in response to issues I
raised with him when he responded to my original email.

My response to him and his reply will be posted when it comes back.

cheers, Jim

ps STA got my original email and have been running around trying to
justify their service and competence.

--
Jim Macbeth, Phd		Phone	(61-8)  9360 7005
Chair
Tourism Program			Fax	(61-8)  9360 7091
Rockingham Campus
Murdoch University
Dixon Rd
ROCKINGHAM, Western Australia 6168
http://tourism.murdoch.edu.au
(08)  9360 7017  (Secretary)
Member, Murdoch University Senate
Member, Editorial Board of ANATOLIA
--============_-1182745618==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Fwd: RE: Compulsory use of STA
these matters and here is the latest answer from Tom Milliken, partly
raised with him when he responded to my original email.</div>
back.</div>
to justify their service and competence.</div>
&lt;TMilliken@jupiter.murdoch.edu.au&gt;<br>
Services &amp; Facilities Management are currently preparing a
document on both travel and insurance issues which will be released by
'mail-bomb'. However, in the meantime I trust the following will
answer your questions.</font><br>
insurance are effected by this ruling and which aspects are not (eg
Workers Comp; laptop insurance; medical)?</font><br>
affected by the policy.</font><br>
color="#0000FF"><u
>&lt;http://www.murdoch.edu.au/finance/admin/polproc/manual/insurance<span
university&nbsp;travel insurance policy and exclusions.</font><br>
can Murdoch deny us insurance when travelling on Murdoch
business?</font><br>
Murdoch is providing both insurance together with an approved Travel
Service Provider. However, as you have requested a legal opinion, I
must refer you to a person/dept appropriately qualified.</font><br>
are we still permitted to book our own travel?</font><br>
travel, paid for personally can be booked by the
individual.</font><br>
written itinerary is forwarded to STA to price match (itineraries for
international travel are automatically sent for independent audit) and
your quotation remains cheaper then consideration will be given to
your selection of travel provider. I feel that the chance of this
occurring are slim.</font><br>
such case will be assessed and the Office of Financial Services should
be contacted.</font><br>
travel by train, bus, boat or car (including hire cars)?</font><br>
entitled to the use of MU insurance, the traveller is covered as a
passenger for all transport if part of the itinerary. Hire
Cars&nbsp;have exclusions - pse refer section 8 at the above
link.</font><br>
use a designated travel agent, can we assume that the university will
make up the difference in funds to the School/research budget if we
could have otherwise taken a cheaper flight of similar
class?</font><br>
arise. Pse refer to section 3 above.</font><br>
that travel booked and paid for by other agencies is still covered by
insurance?</font><br>
referring to conference travel, or similar.</font><br>
payment is made at source and travel documents issued at source, is
usually covered by MU unless already covered by the conference
organisers.</font><br>
answers your questions. In view of the changes we have instigated and
the very considerable amount of work we have put into 'travel'
generally, I hope you will at least give STA the opportunity to meet
your requirements. The customer service has improved considerably and
price should no longer remain an issue.</font><br>
first part of your email. If not, I would be happy to advise of the
changes made at STA; the NUTC agreement whereby, although a
'monopoly', STA are obligated to provide the &quot;best fare of the
day&quot; which is generally at a discount as well. If they don't
compete, I really need to know.</font><br>
If I can be of assistance with travel issues please do not hesitate to
contact me.</font><br>
Susan and posted on the Muasa net.&nbsp; From that I have had
considerable response from staff here and at UWA unhappy with STA as a
travel agent, both specific problems and general concern.&nbsp; I have
copied to you STA's response in a separate email.&nbsp; I don't know
how they got my email as Susan did not send it to them and neither did
I.</font></blockquote>
and that of other staff who have contacted me is the monopoly power
thus enjoyed by STA if we are required to use STA for any travel
involving our employment and the simple inconvenience of being
required to use a travel agent at all.&nbsp; Part of the issue is
quite simple:&nbsp; most of the travel I do as an academic is
either</font></blockquote>
<ul>
<li><font size="-1">not fully paid for by Murdoch funds allocated for
that travel (eg OSP and conference travel allowances seldom over the
cost of travel; my last conference cost $2000 of which the Uni gave me
$1000)</font>
<li><font size="-1">paid for out of earned income from research and
consultancy work that is now in Murdoch accounts but was not money
given for that purpose by Murdoch but by other agencies.&nbsp; Is this
'official' travel, or Murdoch 'business'?</font></ul>
email to Susan have not as yet been answered by her or anyone else.&nbsp;
Do you have those answers?</font></blockquote>
16:39:12 +0800<br>