[Muanet] A contribution to the Discussion list

Mick Campion campion@central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:39:05 +0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C2A1.BE543CB0

	This message to the MUASA discussion list contains 3 items:

	1	My response to a communication with Josko, a member.  This
is included in the interests of providing some backgound.
	2 and 3 the text from two messages I have received upon the issue of
the 'looming war'.

	(Note: I had sent an earlier message which contained various more
extesnsve items but this may have been too large an item for the Discussion
list.  However, please don't be confused if it should turn out that you
receive both)
	__________________________________
	1		Josko I have discussed this matter with two members
of the Committee of Management and have had emailed from two others.

	In the light of this what I propose to do is as follows:

	1	Distribute information on a number of matters related to the
union movement responses to the looming war via the 	MUASA discussion
list, including this response.
	2	Indicate at the meeting of Branch Presidents this afternoon
what has been occurring on this matter at Murdoch and seek	information
on what is happening at UWA, ECU and Curtin.   I will report back on this.

I would just mention that Branch Committee of Management's position that I
expressed to you yesterday was a result of an awareness of Committee members
that the Branch has a number of members who oppose the union taking a
position on matters of this kind.  Our experience in the past, at branch and
national levels, is that such issues can be very divisive and it is to avoid
such division that the Committee made its decision.  We do not doubt that
the majority of members are opposed to a war against Iraq, but we are much
less clear about the proportion of members who would like to have the union
take some kind of stance.

Having said this, if you wish to call and run a meeting of members on this
matter do please get in touch with Stephanie Thompson on Tuesday or
Wednesday of next week and we will follow up on the mechanisms to assist
you. Alternatively, you could consider a meeting of the Murdoch campus
community - staff and students together?

Thanks

________________
2	Last night I attended the first meeting of the year for unionsWA (
as a credentialled NTEU Delegate). For your information, representatives
from UnionsWA Council will be meeting this Friday with the Mayor of
Fremantle, the State Attorney-General and Carmen Lawrence,MP, to discuss the
recent presence of warships in Gage Roads, Freo. A report will be made to
UnionsWA at its next (Feb 2003 )meeting.
In addition, Stephanie Mayman, UnionsWA Secretary, will be distributing
information shortly about a peace/anti-war rally to be held in Forest Place.
____________________
about, or opposition to the looming war, the following may be of interest.
1. Meeting of NOWAR Alliance at Unity House, tomorrow at 6:30pm
2. Reports from the US following anti-war demonstrations on the weekend.
3. Vote no to war at: www.votenowar.org <http://www.votenowar.org>
1. Dear All,

The NOWAR Alliance invites you to an open organizing meeting on Thursday
23rd January, at Unity House 79 Stirling Street at 6:30PM. The NOWAR
Alliance is a diverse group of individuals opposed to the impending war on
Iraq. We believe a war on Iraq would result in a massive humanitarian
disaster.

The purpose of the meeting is to bring together a broad coalition of groups
with the aim of building a rally against a war on Iraq on Saturday 15th
February. The rally is part of an international day of action proposed by
the European Social Forum involving NGO's, church groups, left
organisations, community activists, environmentalists and other concerned
individuals. We believe the urgency of the situation requires all groups
opposed to war to work together in the interests of building the biggest
possible antiwar movement. Therefore the meeting would form an open
organizing committee for the rally on the 15th of February with all groups
and individuals participating on an equal basis

We look forward to working with other organisations and individuals to build
opposition to this war.

Please circulate this invitation within your organisation and for further
information contact us at: NOWAR Alliance, PO Box 204, Northbridge 6865. Ph:
9218 9608 or 9477 6301. Or subscribe to the NOWAR Alliance emailing list at
NOWAR_Alliance_WA-subscribe@yahoo.com.

Together we can stop this war.

Yours sincerely

Kiraz Janicke

(On behalf of NOWAR Alliance)

Mick Campion

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2C2A1.BE543CB0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>A contribution to the Discussion list</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<UL>
<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">This message to the MUASA discussion =
list contains 3 items:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
My response to a communication with Josko, a member.&nbsp; This is =
included in the interests of providing some backgound.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">2 and 3 the text from two messages I =
have received upon the issue of the 'looming war'.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">(Note: I had sent an earlier message =
which contained various more extesnsve items but this may have been too =
large an item for the Discussion list.&nbsp; However, please don't be =
confused if it should turn out that you receive both)</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New =
Roman">__________________________________</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Josko I have discussed this =
matter with two members of the Committee of Management and have had =
emailed from two others.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In the light of this what I propose to =
do is as follows:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Distribute information on a number of matters related to the union =
movement responses to the looming war via the =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; MUASA discussion list, including =
this response.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Indicate at the meeting of Branch Presidents this afternoon what has =
been occurring on this matter at Murdoch and seek&nbsp; information on =
what is happening at UWA, ECU and Curtin.&nbsp;&nbsp; I will report =
back on this.</FONT></P>
</UL>
<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I would just mention that Branch =
Committee of Management's position that I expressed to you yesterday =
was a result of an awareness of Committee members that the Branch has a =
number of members who oppose the union taking a position on matters of =
this kind</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">.&nbsp;</FONT> <FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Our =
experience in the past, at branch and national levels, is that such =
issues can be very divisive and it is to avoid such division that the =
Committee made its decision.&nbsp; We do not doubt that the majority of =
members are opposed to a war against Iraq, but we are much less clear =
about the proportion of members who would like to have the union take =
some kind of stance.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Having said this, if you wish to call =
and run a meeting of members on this matter do please get in touch with =
Stephanie Thompson on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and we will =
follow up on the mechanisms to assist you. Alternatively, you could =
consider a meeting of the Murdoch campus community - staff and students =
together?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">________________</FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Times New =
Roman">2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Last night I attended the =
first meeting of the year for unionsWA ( as a credentialled NTEU =
Delegate). For your information, representatives from UnionsWA Council =
will be meeting this Friday with the Mayor of Fremantle, the State =
Attorney-General and Carmen Lawrence,MP, to discuss the recent presence =
of warships in Gage Roads, Freo. A report will be made to UnionsWA at =
its next (Feb 2003 )meeting. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">In addition, Stephanie Mayman, =
UnionsWA Secretary, will be distributing information shortly about a =
peace/anti-war rally to be held in Forest Place.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">____________________</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
or opposition to the looming war, the following may be of =
interest.</FONT> </P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">1. Meeting of NOWAR Alliance at Unity =
House, tomorrow at 6:30pm</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"> </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">2. Reports from the US following =
anti-war demonstrations on the weekend.</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New =
Roman"> </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">3. Vote no to war at: </FONT><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.votenowar.org"><U><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">www.votenowar.org</FONT></U></A><FONT FACE=3D"Times New =
Roman"> </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">---------------------------------------------------------=
-----</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"> </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">1.</FONT> <FONT FACE=3D"Times New =
Roman">Dear All,<BR>
<BR>
The NOWAR Alliance invites you to an open organizing meeting on =
Thursday 23<SUP>rd</SUP> January, at Unity House 79 Stirling Street at =
6:30PM. The NOWAR Alliance is a diverse group of individuals opposed to =
the impending war on Iraq. We believe a war on Iraq would result in a =
massive humanitarian disaster.<BR>
<BR>
The purpose of the meeting is to bring together a broad coalition of =
groups with the aim of building a rally against a war on Iraq on =
Saturday 15<SUP>th</SUP> February. The rally is part of an =
international day of action proposed by the European Social Forum =
involving NGO's, church groups, left organisations, community =
activists, environmentalists and other concerned individuals. We =
believe the urgency of the situation requires all groups opposed to war =
to work together in the interests of building the biggest possible =
antiwar movement. Therefore the meeting would form an open organizing =
committee for the rally on the 15<SUP>th</SUP> of February with all =
groups and individuals participating on an equal basis<BR>
<BR>
We look forward to working with other organisations and individuals to =
build opposition to this war.<BR>
<BR>
Please circulate this invitation within your organisation and for =
further information contact us at: NOWAR Alliance, PO Box 204, =
Northbridge 6865. Ph: 9218 9608 or 9477 6301. Or subscribe to the NOWAR =
Alliance emailing list at NOWAR_Alliance_WA-subscribe@yahoo.com.<BR>
<BR>
Together we can stop this war.<BR>
<BR>
Yours sincerely<BR>
<BR>
Kiraz Janicke<BR>
<BR>
(On behalf of NOWAR Alliance)</FONT>
</P>

<P><I><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">M</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">ick</FONT> <FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">C</FONT><FONT =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">ampion</FONT></I>
<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">=A0</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>