[Muanet] Sydney Uni head gambles on new pay deal

Dion Giles dgiles at central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Nov 13 08:52:01 WST 2003

By Samantha Maiden and Michelle Giglio
The Australian
November 13 2003

Sydney University vice-chancellor Gavin Brown has gambled on a backdown
over higher education reforms by striking a peace deal with unions, then
predicting a federal government backflip.

Forecasting federal Education Minister Brendan Nelson would modify his
demands that universities embrace workplace relations reforms or lose
$404million in funding, Professor Brown yesterday narrowly avoided strike
action by staff.

But Dr Nelson last night rejected Professor Brown's claims, telling The
Australian the vice-chancellor had "the wrong end of the pineapple".

"Obviously, Gavin Brown is personally entitled to say anything he likes but
where on earth he got that from I have no idea," Dr Nelson said.

"Maybe they've got the wrong end of the pineapple. I have not, nor am I
intending to announce, any change in position. Someone must be misleading
him. I haven't spoken to him."

Earlier, Professor Brown announced a deal to deliver an immediate 4.5per
cent pay increase to Sydney University staff.

In return, unions accepted a no-strike clause and committed to negotiations
on an enterprise agreement based on the concessions Professor Brown
forecast Dr Nelson would announce this week.

"This has been made possible by the fact that (Dr Nelson) is expected to
make a statement this week modifying industrial relations reforms,"
Professor Brown said.

Earlier, a 250-strong meeting of academic and general staff yesterday was
told Professor Brown had indicated Dr Nelson was poised to release a new
set of regulations.

"If what Brown's saying is right, we've won, and if he's wrong we will be
recommending industrial action at our meeting next week," said the
university's National Tertiary Education Union spokesman, Michael Thomson.

Sydney University went on strike in September after management withdrew an
enterprise agreement because it did not comply with Dr Nelson's proposed
reforms.

http://theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,7849647%255E2702,00.html