[Muanet] MU and organisational change again

David Tripp D.Tripp at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Oct 24 21:44:11 WST 2005

I thought this might be of interest in the light of Rhyn and Holloway¹s
article.

[Subsidiarity] was last restated in a papal encyclical, Quadragesimo Anno,
in 1941: ŒIt is an injustice, a grave evil and a disturbance of right order
for a large and higher organization to arrogate to itself functions which
can be performed efficiently by smaller and lower bodies . . .¹ Strong
words.  I translate them more simply ­ stealing people¹s responsibilities is
wrong.  You could also define subsidiarity as Œreverse delegation¹ ­ the
delegation by the parts to the centre.    (Handy 1994:115)

A message here for what¹s gone wrong with the management of universities:
we¹ve shifted from what Handy refers to a Œreverse delegation¹ in the period
1975 ­ 1990 BC (Before Corporatisation), to having our responsibilities
stolen (AD ­ After Disempowerment). In his chapter on subsidarity, Handy
forcefully argues that it is the only way for a corporation to function
efficiently, effectively and sustainably, but we now operate in a
Œdelegated¹ structure where management delegates to the academic units  most
of the services it used to provide to assist its core business (teaching and
research), whilst keeping an ever higher percentage of the University¹s
income for its Œcorporate¹ activities such as monitoring compliance with the
strategies it has imposed for the delivery of teaching, learning and
research.

Handy, C. (1994) The empty raincoat: Making sense of the future. London:
Hutchinson.

--
Dr David Tripp, Associate Professor in Education
Phone: +61 (0)8 9360 6647