[Muanet] Fw: URGENT: Stop the sacking of Robert Austin

Chris Latham C.Latham at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Oct 31 13:06:27 WST 2005

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:21:28 +1000
From: "Lisa Farrance" <october at net.au
<http://mymail01.mail.lycos.com/scripts/mail/compose.mail?compose=1&.ob=
20851ffeea20f701a23f74015284a57fdfa1b0b8&composeto=october%40bigpond.net
.au> >
Subject: URGENT: Stop the sacking of Robert Austin

Can you please pass this on to friends, comrades and colleagues. We
urgently need messages of support.

The Federal Government in Australia has lately intensified its attack
on public universities, with the full backing of commercial radio
"shock-jocks" and their print-media equivalents. Not content with a
complicit media, Nelson and Howard now want compliant, uncritical
universities. And RMIT University is showing the way, with its latest
political attack against an academic, Dr Robert Austin, a long-time
union member. Currently threatened with the sack, Dr Austin's case
highlights the real threat posed by the Howard-Nelson agenda.

After a dispute within Robert's department over the re-scheduling of
classes so that students could attend a National Day of Action
against Voluntary Student Unionism (VSU), local management proceeded
to recommend Robert's termination. The Vice Chancellor has this week
signed off on this recommendation, to take effect in 6 months. The
National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU) has submitted a formal
appeal, but we urgently need messages of support to help with this
appeal.

All messages should be sent to the Vice Chancellor vc at rmit.edu.au
<http://mymail01.mail.lycos.com/scripts/mail/compose.mail?compose=1&.ob=
20851ffeea20f701a23f74015284a57fdfa1b0b8&composeto=vc%40rmit.edu.au>
with a copy to the campaign coordinators liz.thompson at rmit.edu.au
<http://mymail01.mail.lycos.com/scripts/mail/compose.mail?compose=1&.ob=
20851ffeea20f701a23f74015284a57fdfa1b0b8&composeto=liz.thompson%40rmit.e
du.au>  and
l.farrance at edu.au
<http://mymail01.mail.lycos.com/scripts/mail/compose.mail?compose=1&.ob=
20851ffeea20f701a23f74015284a57fdfa1b0b8&composeto=l.farrance%40
edu.au>

A full list of articles, campaign updates and an area for public
messages of support can be found on the campaign website:
http://www.defendrobert.blogspot.com/

In solidarity
Lisa Farrance
MA student in Media and Communications
Until recently a Delegate to NTEU National Council and NTEU Branch
Committee Member
Campaign to Defend Robert Austin: http://defendrobert.blogspot.com
Please visit regularly for updates and to post messages of support

We act in solidarity with other academics across the globe facing
similar silencing. We support the campaign to defend David Graeber
(Yale University).