[Muanet] FW: Upcoming Womyn's Events at Murdoch

Chris Latham C.Latham at murdoch.edu.au
Sun Apr 22 14:09:36 WST 2007

Dear members

Below is an event being organised by the Murdoch Guild women's department this Tueday evening.

Chris

Murdoch Guild Women's Collective Film Screening:
'Vera Drake'

Vera Drake is a selfless woman who is completely devoted to her working class family. She spends her days doting on them and caring for her sick neighbor and elderly mother. However, she also secretly visits women and helps them induce miscarriages for unwanted pregnancies. While the practice itself was illegal in 1950s England, Vera sees herself as simply helping women in need, and always does so with a smile and kind words of encouragement. When the authorities finally find her out, Vera's world and family life rapidly unravel.

With women constantly struggling for equality, even the rights that we have previously won are coming under attack from the government. Just last year with the debates around the 'abortion drug' RU486, abortion was brought back on the government agenda again, with Health Minister Tony Abbott in a speech to parliament implying that women who seek abortions are murderers. The choice whether or not to have an abortion is personal, however the right to make this choice is essential. The 'right to life' lobby argue that the rate of abortion decreases when it is made illegal, however as the film Vera Drake shows, the rate of abortion doesn't decline, but abortions are conducted in unsafe conditions. The right to have control over our own bodies is a very basic right, and a woman should have the right to control her own destiny.

Come along to the film screening of Vera Drake to see the film, and have some discussion about the right of women to have control over our own lives. Everyone is welcome (women and men), however please be advised that the film is rated M.
When: Tuesday, 24th of April.
Time: 5pm.
Where: ECL 3 lecture theatre.
Admission: $3 concession/$5 waged.