[Muanet] Appeal for support

Christopher Latham C.Latham at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Sep 5 19:42:40 WST 2007

Dear Members

On Saturday there will be a protest in Fremantle to oppose George Bush's Visit to Australia. I recieved this email from the organisers of the protest earlier today. They are appealing for support in their ongoing attempt to gain a march permit from the Police. I thought members would be interested in supporting the right to protest and in possibly attending the rally.

In solidarity

Chris

Hi all,

The fight for civil rights and public space is on at APEC, obviously most intensely in Sydney. Here in Perth, we are also having difficulties, and even after two weeks of negotiations with the council and the Fremantle police, the organisers of the Saturday Fremantle rally have still not been able to obtain a police permit to march, with the police saying they’ll “judge it on the day” as to whether or not we can march. The key reason cited for the refusal to date to formally issue a permit is being justified by the fact that a march through Fremantle will disrupt traffic.

If you want to stand up for the right to march, come along to the rally on Saturday, 12 noon Pioneer Park in Fremantle – but also sign on to this letter (via email by replying to this address or to <e_clancy123 at hotmail.com> and agreeing to add your name).

On a more positive note, an update for everyone that today 200 high school students walked out of class to come into Perth and protest Bush and APEC, and held a very lively, energetic and peaceful march and rally. Altogether almost 2000 high school students walked out against Bush around the country with 500 each in Sydney and Melbourne, 300 in Brisbane, 200 in Wollongong and other actions in Canberra, Adelaide and Hobart.

Hope to see everyone on Saturday!

For the attention of the Fremantle Police.

Re: Stop Bush rally and march in Fremantle

We would like to urge the Fremantle police to formally issue a permit
for the proposed Stop Bush march scheduled to take place in Fremantle
on Saturday September 8. We understand that in negotiations with the
protest organisers, the police have indicated that they will "judge it
on the day" as to whether or not the march will go ahead and be
provided with a police escort.

The march's organisers have undertaken to organise and marshal the
march, to ensure that the march sticks to the proposed route and
returns to Pioneer Park. Marshals will be provided from trade unions
and community groups.

In the interest of ensuring that the rally participants are entitled
to exercise their democratic rights by holding a public peaceful political
march, and in avoiding a potentially confrontational situation, we
call on the police to issue a permit to march prior to this weekend.

Sincerely,
The Hon Dr Carmen Lawrence MP (Federal member for Fremantle).

Professor Ted Wilkes, Curtin University.

Professor Gavin Mooney, WA Social Justice Network.

Darren Kavanagh, Occupational Health and Safety adviser, CFMEU WA.

Emma Clancy, Stop Bush rally organiser.

* * * ADD YOUR NAME HERE * * *

Stop Bush – Make Howard History rally and march

12 noon Saturday September 8, Pioneer Park, Fremantle

*Troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan

*Stop global warming: Renewables not uranium and coal

*Defend workers’ rights; Scrap Work Choices

Ph Emma on 0432 333 806 for more information.