[Muanet] Bit of a win in Ballarat Uni

Dion Giles D.Giles at murdoch.edu.au
Fri Aug 29 13:04:52 WST 2008

With the local management ducking and weaving to avoid industrial
negotiations with staff, I wonder if everyone caught the following
from The Australian. The growth of use and dump employment remains a
worry though the union has won a marginal concession in that area.
Anyone have any stories to tell about conditions for casual staff at
Murdoch Uni?

Dion Giles

Ballarat catches up with above-inflation pay rise

The Australian, August 27 2008

THE academic union has won pay increases above inflation but failed
to secure a cap on casual employment in the first university deal of
its national campaign.

Ballarat University has agreed to a 10.9 per cent compound pay
increase in four instalments over 16 months. Under a national log of
claims, the NTEU has been seeking 27 per cent over three years
delivered through two 18-month agreements.

In June, general secretary Grahame McCulloch said the union would
seek to reverse a Howard-era trend by capping the proportion of
casual teaching staff.

The NTEU failed to secure a cap at Ballarat but won increases in the
base rate for casuals, a separate rate for marking and a small number
of fixed term early career development fellowships to move staff from
casual to continuing employment.

``If we hadn't got those (fellowships) we probably would have been
pushing harder for things like caps,'' said Matthew McGowan,
secretary of the NTEU's Victorian division.

Ballarat vice-chancellor David Battersby said the pay increase was
``at the upper end of what we could have afforded''.

Both sides agreed there were special factors at Ballarat, where
conflict under the previous vice-chancellor Kerry Cox and the old
Coalition labour law led to a delayed 2006 agreement with lower pay
rises than elsewhere.

Asked whether Ballarat had lost staff because of the 2005 conflict,
Professor Battersby said: ``What we lost was a sense of loyalty of
some of the staff to the institution. The challenge for regional
universities is one of both recruitment and retention.''

Ian Argall, executive director of the Australian Higher Education
Industrial Association, believed that all of Ballarat's pay increase,
apart from the final 4 per cent to be paid in January 2010, was ``catch up''.

Both Ballarat and the union said the new agreement was significant as
the first under a new balance of power in labour law.

The agreement restored rules limiting contract and fixed-term
employment; these had been prohibited under Coalition changes to
regulation of labour markets.

As part of its campaign the NTEU plans to revisit pay rates in early
2010 in the expectation that increases in university funding may flow
from the Bradley review. Asked about this, Professor Cox, now
vice-chancellor of Edith Cowan University, said: ``I have had no
indications that post-Bradley there will be a significant increase in
base funding.''

Mr Argall predicted some universities would resist the NTEU request
for a pre-Bradley agreement on the basis that there was no point
until funding was clearer.