[Unistats] Full Year Enrolment Statistics

Nick Booth Nick.Booth@uts.EDU.AU
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:42:08 +1100

At 04:15 pm 30/11/01, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm wondering how your institution is intending to report full year
>enrolment/EFTSU statistics now that we have a second submission Enrolment
>file.  In particular, how you would deal with students who change details
>from one semester to the next.

At UTS, we have built a large Powerplay cube called CASHEWS (Course And
Subject Headcount, EFTSU, and WEFTSU System), which contains data derived
from the first and second EN, LD, and LS files.

When looking at headcount in this cube, you always have to specify the
semester required (Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring) otherwise you get
multiple counting. For EFTSU, you can look at the whole year and get
meaningful figures, but students who change their funding source during the
year (eg international students who get residence) will have their load
apportioned according to their status in each semester.

I think the point is that we really have to start thinking of each half
year being a separate collection. Because of the introduction of ASCED and
the changed definition of "commencing student", there is a statistical
discontinuity between 2000 and 2001. This can provide an opportunity to
rethink other aspects of how we present the statistics.

Cheers to all

Nick Booth
Senior Policy and Project Consultant
Technology Systems and Information Unit
University of Technology, Sydney.
Phone + 61 2 9514 2162.   Fax + 61 2 9514 1272.
CRICOS Number: 00099F

I love deadlines. Especially the whooshing noise they make as they go
rushing by.