[Unistats] Commencement date for RTS students who have upgraded or downgraded

Sue Clark Susan.Clark@jcu.edu.au
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:54:23 +1000

Andrea,

Yes, I have battled with this upgrade problem too.

Under the DEST "commencing student" definition, a student who upgrades from
a Masters Research to a PhD is a commencing student, and the commencement
date should therefore be for the PhD.  However, under the RTS guidelines,
the same student is only entitled to a total of 4 years RTS funding.  This
could be interpreted to mean the commencement date should be at the start
of the Masters Research degree.

If you use the Masters Research commencing date, then you do NOT meet the
DEST student collection requirements but you do meet the RTS guidelines and
you can track the eftsu used under RTS correctly and easily.

If you use the PhD commencement date, then you meet the DEST student
collection requirements but the RTS eftsu requirements need to be tracked
individually student-by-student otherwise the RTS guidelines will be
breached.

I have interpreted this differently for different students depending on
whether there was an interval between candidature for the degrees and
whether the thesis title appeared to be the same/similar for both degrees.

There are no easy answers and I imagine that all universities interpreted
this in varying ways.

There does not seem to be the same problem for downgrades because neither
the DEST student collection nor the RTS guidelines considers them to be
commencing students.  Therefore you use the original start date and track
the eftsu from there.

Sue Clark.

At 12:37 PM 17-06-2002 +0930, Andrea Matulick wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>We are curious what commencement date other institutions have reported
>for RTS students who have upgraded or downgraded their enrolment
>(Masters to PhD or vice versa). DEST's documentation on commencing
>students (and commencing RTS students) has been re-written. It is not
>specific, but seems to suggest the date of the transfer should be
>reported as the commencement date. Our student records system is
>currently set to give us the original commencement date for these
>students.
>
>Does anyone else see this as a problem?
>

>--
>Andrea Matulick
>Management Information Analyst
>Office of Planning and Development
>The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005
>Ph    : +61 8 8303 7570
>Fax   : +61 8 8303 4873
>e-mail: andrea.matulick@adelaide.edu.au
>
>This email message is intended only for the addressee(s)
>and contains information which may be confidential and/or
>copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
>do not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents
>of this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,
>please notify the sender by reply email and delete this
>email and any copies or links to this email completely and
>immediately from your system.  No representation is made
>that this email is free of viruses.  Virus scanning is
>recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient.

Susan Clark
Manager, Statistics
Resources Office
James Cook University