[Unistats] 2001 v 2002 estimates

Ted Gallop T.Gallop@curtin.edu.au
Wed, 8 May 2002 17:03:16 +0800

John and other Colleagues

In respect of the preliminary estimates, the requirements regarding which
semesters to include in the estimates were the same for both years
(semesters 1 thru 5). However, this does not make the two estimates
comparable because the 2002 estimates asked for additional load and numbers
to be included.

The 2001 and 2002 estimates quite different at item (iii) and part of item
(iv) of the 2002 requirements which stated:
	(iii)	PLUS an amount for load which would not have been included
in the Submission 1 Student Load File, and which the university, based on
past experience, estimates will eventuate for students who will enrol in
2002 after 31 March 2002 but prior to 1 September 2002.  Such load would be
included in the second Liability Status File for 2002.
	(iv)	The student numbers reported to be an unduplicated count and
are to reflect the students who are enrolled after 31 August 2001 and prior
to 1 April 2002 and an estimate of those for which the university, based on
past experience, estimates will eventuate for students who will enrol in
2002 after 31 March 2002 but prior to 1 September 2002.  Such student
numbers would be included in the second Student Enrolment File for 2002.
.
These were NOT in the 2001 specs and represent estimates of all expected mid
year intakes - both load and numbers.
Mid year intakes were not included in the 2001 estimates, and were in the
2002 estimates.

I don't think any sensible comparison is possible between the two.

I include the 2002 specs as released by DEST below for information for those
interested.

regards
Ted
_____________

3.	Specifications for the preparation of data for inclusion in
preliminary estimates tables [2002]

3.1	What is required

2002 Preliminary data estimates

	Student numbers and student load reported in Tables 1, 2 and 3 are
to comprise the university's best estimate of student numbers and student
load for the full year 2002.  Relating this to the collection, the data
provided would be consistent with:

	(i)	student load included within the Submission 1 Student Load
File for 2002, including load for all semesters,

	(ii)	MINUS an amount for load coded "2" or "4" on Element 353
(Semester) which the university, based on past experience, estimates will be
load that will not actually eventuate in 2002.  Such load would not be
included in the second Liability Status File for 2002,
	(iii)	PLUS an amount for load which would not have been included
in the Submission 1 Student Load File, and which the university, based on
past experience, estimates will eventuate for students who will enrol in
2002 after 31 March 2002 but prior to 1 September 2002.  Such load would be
included in the second Liability Status File for 2002.
	(iv)	The student numbers reported to be an unduplicated count and
are to reflect the students who are enrolled after 31 August 2001 and prior
to 1 April 2002 and an estimate of those for which the university, based on
past experience, estimates will eventuate for students who will enrol in
2002 after 31 March 2002 but prior to 1 September 2002.  Such student
numbers would be included in the second Student Enrolment File for 2002.

	The workbook is in this file on DEST's file server:

	\private\stats\public\early02\early02.zip

3.2	Specifications

	The specifications for each table are provided in the following
pages.  References to files of data required for the Higher Education
Student Collection and for the elements within those files are provided in
the DEST document entitled Higher Education Student Collection
Documentation.

	DEST accepts that the data provided may not be entirely precise
because the estimates will need to be compiled prior to 31 March 2002.  The
requirement is a preliminary estimate of enrolments and student load made
for 2002.

3.3	Due Date for Returns

	The workbook is to be completed and returned to DEST's file server
through the ftp facility by 28 March 2002

Ted Gallop,
Manager, Strategic Information Support.
University Planning Office.
Curtin University of Technology