[Unistats] Past Course Completions, Student Attrition and the Learning & TeachingPerformance Fund

Andrew McCann Andrew.McCann at uts.edu.au
Thu Dec 22 12:00:00 WST 2005

Hello Everyone

We have an issue regarding reference dates for recording completions,
particularly in view of the use of the data in the Learning & Teaching
Performance Fund allocation model.  I am especially interested to know:

    * what reference dates (ie. date at which a completion is recorded)
      that different student systems use for the DEST Past Course
      Completions (PCC) file; and
    * whether or not others are able to change the reference dates to
      pick up all completers.

As you now the 'student attrition inversion/retention' measure in the
Learning & Teaching Performance Fund allocation model uses the enrolment
and completions data files from the student stats submissions to DEST.
Under the new reporting regime, the reference year for the PCC file is
the calendar year. The PCC file specifications state that:   "data are
to be provided about each student <about:blank> who completed the
academic requirements of an award course <about:blank> in the year prior
to the collection year <about:blank>."

Many Universities cannot process their completions in time to get onto
the PCC file, as exam results are released in late December giving two
working days before Christmas to change the status of completing
students on the student system - this process includes checking that
students have satisfied all requirements of their degree, paid any
oustanding fines etc etc.

We believe that many universities may be locked into the calendar year
as per file specs (as Student 1 universities are) and may be
disadvantaged in LTPF calculations by 'missing' a significant number of
completing students who are changed to completed on the student system
after the 31st December cut-off date of the reference year up to PCC
submission deadline at end of April in the following year.  Now that the
collection year is a calendar year, Student 1 has (we think correctly)
interpreted this to mean that the PCC should refer to the calendar year
prior to the collection year. Other vendors may have interpreted the
scope differently.

Student 1 does not give universities any capacity to change the
reference dates of the file, so it would seem that Student 1
universities (UTS, Macquarie, Southern Cross, Curtin, Flinders and James
Cook) will be disadvantaged in the LTPF.  If DEST changes the
specifications for the PCC file then student systems can be changed
accordingly, however it is a different matter to persuade student
systems suppliers to change their interpretation based on the current
file specs.

Interestingly DEST say that we can really include the 'missed'
completers between end December and 30 April submission date but this
goes against the specification!     I hope we can find a resolution to
this one.

I'll be grateful for anything others can offer on this issue. ....
Thanks, best wishes to all for the festive season and happy 2006.

Regards .... Andrew

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If