Welcome as a subscriber to BIRDMED.
The BirdMed CLOSED subscription Email Discussion List is an internet resource intended to provide a forum for the discussion of issues of interest to members. The list, however, is unmoderated so any message which you send to email@example.com will be sent automatically to all subscribers.
You can only send messages to birdmed from your exact subscribed account.
Specifically, the email list is intended to:
1. Provide a forum for the sharing of the collective professional knowledge and experience of the members.
2. Provide a ready means for communicating notices of meetings and functions relating to Bird Health and Production.
3. Provide a resource for avian veterinarians.
Access to the list is restricted to members of the Association of Avian Veterinarians.
• The Moderator reserves the right to terminate discussion on a subject, to deny participation to any individual or to terminate the participation of any individual.
• BirdMed has anti-virus protection and other mechanisms in place to assist in the protection of the communications you receive. However, it is the responsibility and obligation of individual participants to provide their own virus and security software systems to protect their computer system and prevent damage to the equipment of others in the email list membership. All list participants to stay current with their Windows and anti-virus updates.
• When you are the person posting a question, be sure that you entitle it with a good, concise, explanatory title in the subject line.
• If you must post a long message, warn the other subscribers with a statement in the body of the message at the top: Example: WARNING: LONG MESSAGE.
• Always remember to include a full "auto-signature" block at the bottom of the messages you post so that other subscribers will know who you are and how to reach you directly. If your mail system does not have an auto-signature feature, at least include your full name, firm/company name (if appropriate) city, state, phone and e-mail address.
• Make sure that questions and information posted to the email list is directly related to the purpose of the list. Avoid forwarding chain letters or other non-related messages to this, or any other list.
• Message file attachments must be sent to the moderator (firstname.lastname@example.org
or email@example.com) for accessing by members. We do not permit certain types of files because they present a high risk for spreading viruses, worms, and other harmful infections. These excluded files consist of (but are not limited to) .exe .bat .chm .cmd .msi .msp .ocx .pif .scr .vb .vbe, and .vbs files.
• Remember: when you click on "reply" to a posting, your response is posted to the entire email list membership. If your message is an informative response to someone's question, from which everyone can learn, you should respond and send your reply message to everyone. However, try to avoid re-sending the entire message to which you are replying if it is lengthy. Cut and paste the relevant parts when replying.
• If your reply is simply a request to receive a copy of what someone has offered to share, or simply to agree with or thank someone, please do not reply to the entire group. Instead, send your response directly to the e-mail address of the person who posted the message by clicking on your "Forward to" button, and typing in or cutting and pasting in the e-mail address of the individual to whom you are responding.
• No affirmations. "I agree, Good job, Thank you", etc should be transmitted privately, not to the entire email list. If someone offers to provide members with a form, article, or other resource, DO NOT respond to the email list; respond privately to the poster.
• Some of the messages sent to BIRDMED may contain confidential information. Any person found forwarding messages on to non-BIRDMED list members violates the terms of this list and will be removed.
• Do not post inflammatory messages. Remember that these discussions are "public" and meant for constructive exchanges. Treat the others on the list as you would want them to treat you. Be professional and careful what you say about others.
• Keep your questions and comments relevant to the focus of the email list.
• Keep paragraphs and messages short and to the point.
• Focus on one subject per message and always include a pertinent subject title for the message so the user can find and identify the message quickly. This also enables other list members to skip messages that do not interest them or to find archived discussions. If the focus of the thread has changed, change the title of your posting to reflect the subject under discussion.
• Capitalize words only to highlight an important point or to distinguish a title or heading. Capitalizing whole words that are not titles is considered SHOUTING! Asterisks surrounding a word can be used to make a stronger point.
• No private discussions. "I'll meet you at New York" etc. have no place on the email list.
• No inside references. Comments that can be understood or appreciated only by those who were at a particular seminar or event, serve only to confuse and/or irritate those who were not present at the event.
• Be very selective about republishing the ideas of others. We all find poems and essays that are inspirational or otherwise meaningful to us that we want to share. Everyone should bear in mind that many subscribers have a limited amount of time to review their mail and that this type of material is considered by many as junk mail.
• Every one of us will occasionally encounter a funny story or joke which we immediately want to share with several hundred of our closest friends. Resist this urge.
• In accordance with common email list courtesy, you may not send "commercial" and/or self-promotional postings to the list. The email list is not intended to provide a forum for the promotion or advocacy of a member.
• BirdMed accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted to the list, and is not responsible for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted.
• Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials.
• Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that it owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants BirdMed and users of this list the non-exclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
• Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct which is intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection or termination of customers or suppliers.
• BirdMed does not actively monitor email lists for inappropriate postings, and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of BirdMed, then BirdMed will take all appropriate action.
• BirdMed reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
• Your continued subscription is taken as acceptance of these Terms of Usage.
** You should unsubscribe from this list if you change your email address.
To see the collection of postings to the list,
visit the archives (1996-2003) (2004-present) (The current archive is only available to the list