[Muanet] Worst VC prize

Jim Macbeth j.macbeth at murdoch.edu.au
Thu Mar 17 11:18:46 WST 2005

This was sent to me by a former student, now in NZ.

jim

Brunel V-C nominated as Britain's worst boss

Brunel University's Vice-Chancellor Professor Steven Schwartz has
been nominated as Britain's worst boss for a new Channel 4 television
programme looking for budding David Brent's of The Office fame.
Described by the Association of University Teachers (AUT) as being
"industrial-relations challenged", Professor Schwartz has managed to
provoke a vote of no- confidence in his management from staff . It
mirrored a similar no-confidence vote delivered by staff and students
at Murdoch University in Australia, his last university post.

AUT General Secretary Sally Hunt said that while the Channel 4
programme would be light-hearted, the reality for union members at
Brunel was no laughing matter. "Brunel is making sixty staff
redundant, with thirty compulsory redundancies, an almost unheard of
event in a British university," she said. Senior management have
refused to meet with the union, leading to threats by the AUT that it
will issue injunction proceedings if the University presses ahead
with the redundancies.

--
Jim Macbeth, Phd				Phone	(61-8)  9360 2185
Chair					Office	Social Sciences Rm 2.23