[Muanet] FW: NTEU's media release over Palm Island

Chris Latham C.Latham at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Dec 19 15:34:11 WST 2006

Dear Members

Below is the press release put out NTEU by Terry Mason Chair NTEU
Indigenous Tertiary Education Policy Committee, over last weeks decision
by the Queensland DPP to not bring charges over the death of Mulrunji
Doomagee on Palm Island in November 2004.

Chris

Palm Island Findings a "Farce"

The Queensland Director of Public Prosecutions Leanne Clare finding that
the death of Palm Island resident Mulrunji Doomagee in November 2004
while in Police custody was a "terrible accident", are a "farce" NTEU
Indigenous Committee Chair Mr Terry Mason said.

The findings by the QLD DPP contradict those made by the Deputy State
Coroner Christine Clements who found that Mr Doomagee suffered four
broken ribs, a ruptured portal vein and severely split liver as result
of being struck during what has been described as a watch-house scuffle
involving the Police.

 "At any level you examine this, there is clearly a massive failure of
duty of care by the Police that has led to this tragedy, and this has
not been recognised in any way by the DPP findings" Mr Mason stated.

"It is a disgrace that after ten years of Royal Commission into
Aboriginal Deaths in Custody and 339 recommendations, our people are
still dying in Police lockups in 2004"...Mr Mason said.

 "The NTEU would like to offer support to the Palm Island Community in
this time of sadness and urge as many people as possible to participate
in the rallies organised to protest this outrage".

There will be a rally at 12:00pm in Queens Park, cnr George & Elizabeth
St, Brisbane and also at 12:00pm at Queensland Travel Centre, 405 Bourke
Street Melbourne.

We also urge as many people as possible to write to Premier Beattie
expressing their concern about proper justice for the Palm Island people
and the family of Mr Doomagee.

The inconsistency of the DPP and State Coroner findings we believe
warrant further independent investigation and we call on the QLD State
Government to establish such an inquiry Mr Mason said.

For more information contact:

Mr Terry Mason
Chair
NTEU Indigenous Tertiary Education Policy Committee - 0402 216 273