[Unistats] HECS Due file and addresses

Roni McDowell roni.mcdowell@rmit.edu.au
Wed, 15 May 2002 12:49:19 +1000

Dear Rob,

Perhaps I am getting old but surely it is a legal requirement of the HECS system that the student provides their address to the tax office?  Also don't they want to get their results?  We have many missing addresses, but this is due to laziness by the students or Faculty not because they don't want us to have it.

Kidding aside, when we have had a handful of students without addresses we enter the address of their home department as a reference point.

Roni

Roni McDowell
Head, Statistics and Reporting Unit
Planning Group
RMIT Collection Coordinator
RMIT University
Phone:  03 9925 4077
Mobile: 0417554033
Fax: 03 9639 1941

>>> "Robert Rispoli" <r.rispoli@ecu.edu.au> 15/05/2002 12:28:44 pm >>>
Dear Colleagues,

We've got a handful of students who do not wish to have their
residential and/or postal addresses entered into our student reocrd
system for various legitimate reasons. As a consequence, FATAL errors
3043 and/or 3042 (postcode invalid) are generated from the HECS Due
file.

Entering the addresses manually into the file may be one solution.

I was wondering whether other Unis have similar students and, if so,
how you go about avoiding these errors without doing a "Booth" i.e.
making up the data!

Many thanks
Rob

Rob Rispoli
Statistician, Statistical Services Branch
Edith Cowan University
Pearson St, Churchlands
Western Australia  6018

Ph. +61-8-92738234  Fax.+61-8-92738167