[Unistats] When is a FATAL not a FATAL?

Robert RISPOLI r.rispoli at ecu.edu.au
Fri May 2 10:36:24 WST 2003

David O'Brien,
University Statistics Section
Department of Education, Science & Training

Dear David,

In response to a message I sent to the UniStats mailing list just yesterday afternoon, I received overwhelming support for the idea that validation rules that check a current submission's data against previous submissions and generate FATAL errors should, in most cases, generate WARNING errors instead.

In particular, errors such as:
     3021: **  FATAL  ** - E328 (Course commencement date) different in prior and current submission files
     3022: **  FATAL  ** - E315 (Gender) different in prior and current submission files
     3023: **  FATAL  ** - E314 (Date of birth) different in prior and current submission files

should NOT be appearing. They should be WARNINGs.

I doubt whether any University is currently submitting a Student Enrolment file which has those lovely words "FILE VALIDATED" at the bottom of the validation report! All because of errors such as those listed above. It is very demoralising!

I hereby kindly request that all such validation rules be reviewed and changed to WARNINGs and that DESTPAC be modified post-haste to incorporate these changes.

Regards
Rob
Rob Rispoli
Statistician
Strategic Information Services
Edith Cowan University
Pearson St, Churchlands
Western Australia  6018

Ph. +61-8-92738234  Fax.+61-8-92738167
Email: r.rispoli at ecu.edu.au

From: Robert McCormack [mailto:rmccormack at admin.uwa.edu.au]

Dear Rob

Over the years we have had a few of these errors, and DEST have been happy to accept our explanation that we had corrected errors.  However it would be nice if the message was changed to a Warning.

I can recall the case of a hermaphroditic student who had declared that they were not to be reported as either male or female, but I can't recall what we actually reported for that student.  It is likely that the student would have generated a significant number of fatal errors.

Cheers
Robert

Robert McCormack
Director
Planning Services
The University of Western Australia

mailto:Eldon.Rosenberg at avondale.edu.au
Systems Mgr/Programmer/DEST CC Phone: +61 2 4980 2145
IT Services           	       Fax: +61 2 4980 2118
Avondale College      	       http://www.avondale.edu.au